Wednesday, July 13, 2011

In Which The Warlock Posts Some Random Thoughts in Bullet Point Form...

With all of the writing I've been doing (and the live-blogging from Origins!), I've been kind of remiss in some of my geekly duties.  But, since the PlatinumChick and I are headed out for my old stomping grounds for a few days, I figure that now is a pretty good time to catch up on some of those summertime thoughts that I haven't exactly gotten around to writing about yet!

  • Green Lantern.  Boy, this one was a train wreck, wasn't it?  After such hype and so much cash spent on CGI effects, this movie really just fell apart due to poor writing and direction, an uninspired performance by lead Ryan Reynolds, and massive plot holes.  One of my non-gamer friends out here is a massive GL fanboy, and I've spent quite a bit of time trying to show him exactly why this movie failed so miserably, but he...disagrees.  *shakes head*  I keep hearing that the producers are trying to get a sequel green-lit, but I doubt that will ever happen.  This might have been DC's best shot to start a Marvel-esque "shared film universe" but that's gone out the window...
  • Thor.  Whooo...how did I miss this one earlier?  While it's not quite as good as Iron Man, Kenneth Branagh brought a great amount of gravitas and depth to a movie that many--yours truly included--were worried about.  I mean, really, how do you make a hammer-wielding god-alien fit in with the super-science of Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, and Steve Rogers?  Somehow, Branagh made it believable, with SHIELD playing a significant role, complete with a cameo from a certain bow-wielding solo agent...
  • Captain America.  Speaking of Steve, I'm really jazzed about this one.  The latest trailers have shown something that I suspected since the beginning--that the "icebound" reveal will actually take place during the film itself, and not during the traditional post-credits Marvel Skeletor.  I'm not as worried about this one as I was Thor, primarily because of the grounding that Cap has in super-science and Marvel lore.  It's a lot easier to tie Cap to Iron Man and the Hulk than it is to Thor, for aforementioned space-god reasons.  Plus, Hugo Weaving as the Red Skull?  Inspired casting...
  • The DC Reboot!  Ugh.  The PlatinumChick was being pissed when she heard about this travesty.  For those of you non-comics fans, DC Comics made an overarching decision to restart many of their comics, complete with an art overhaul that eliminates some classic costumes and changes to major characters (like Barbara Gordon, in particular) that destroy some classic character development.  While I fall on the Marvel side of the fence in this, I can see exactly what the PlatinumChick is mad about--ignoring or trying to wipe away some of the greatest stories in comics, when that's what draws people in, is folly.  Plus, it means that somewhere in Britain, Alan Moore will be putting on his face-fucking boots...
  • Other Comics!  Matt Fraction, while writing fantastically on "Invincible Iron Man" has really frustrated me with Bucky-Cap (Spoilers!).  At least the new Deadlands comic line appears to be selling well, and was really entertaining.  Hopefully the creators will be able to keep it up.  Plus,  Ghost Rider is finally back!  The last series, while trading hands several times, managed to maintain a neat feel that alternated between Biblical apocalypse and grindhouse movie, which was a blast to read.  It still doesn't hold a candle to Garth Ennis' run...
  • More Movies!  Okay, so Pirates of the Caribbean 4 was kind of a disappointment.  While amusing, it felt like most of the characters were just going through the motions.  Frustrating, considering the source material they used was an actual novel this time, but with Gore Verbinski jumping ship (teehee...ship!), what could we really expect?  Next up on our slate is Cowboys vs. Aliens, which has been hyped up beyond belief.  I'm hoping that Jon Favreau does us right on this one...he hasn't steered us wrong before

I think that's about all for now.  Stay posted for some updates on our now two weekly Deadlands games this Saturday!  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment