In amongst all of the other numerous projects that I've been working on--and, y'know, my actual "real" job of teaching--I've been contemplating what exactly I need to do, when I start the Kickstarter for Cold Steel Wardens. Obviously, I'll need to officially incorporate as well as establish my copyright and trademark registries, all of which I hope to have finished by August of this year.
But, rather, I mean the actual Kickstarter itself. I've been reading numerous blogs dealing with the issue, as KS can be a massive boon when done correctly...and an utter disaster when not.
Analysis shows that Kickstarter projects tend to do significantly better when accompanied with some kind of audio-visual element (not necessarily a video, though video does tend to help) as well as preview material and character sheets to show what the game itself will look like and how it will play.
Rewards, though, are really what drive Kickstarter projects. After all, as a patron system, it's hard to get people to patronize you without good reason! One of the neatest things about Kickstarter is the fact that rewards aren't necessarily always tangible. A high-level patronage might provide some experience or opportunity that not necessarily be "worth" anything, but ramps up the level of awesome instead.
So, in thinking about all this, I've begun brainstorming a reward system with tiers based on the three levels of adversaries in CSW: Mooks, Made Men, and Masterminds. Take a look! And, as always, if you have any feedback, it'd be greatly appreciated!
- $10--A PDF copy of Cold Steel Wardens.
- $30--Both a PDF copy of Cold Steel Wardens and a softcover copy of the same, upon publication.
- $50--A signed softcover copy of Cold Steel Wardens, the PDF copy, and an exclusive adventure set in Greensburg (pdf).
- $75--Two signed softcover copies, the PDF copy, the exclusive adventure, and a pre-order for the next books: Cold Steel Wardens: Rogues' Gallery.
- $100--all at $75 level, plus a lifetime 10% discount on any of my products.
- $150--An 8 1/2" by 11" art print of a piece of your choosing from the Cold Steel Wardens core rulebook, signed by the artist.
- $200--Either an original 8 1/2" by 11" art print of a character of your choosing from Cold Steel Wardens OR inclusion of a character of your creation in the upcoming book, Cold Steel Wardens: Rogues' Gallery.
- $300--Both rewards from the $200 level!
- $500--Both rewards from the $200 level AND I will run an exclusive, off-the-books Cold Steel Wardens session for you and up to 5 of your friends at either GenCon Indy or the Origins Game Fair, at a day and time of your choosing.
- $1,000--At my expense and on a weekend of our combined choosing, I will travel to your house and prepare a dinner for you and up to 5 of your friends. I will then run an exclusive, never-before-seen Cold Steel Wardens investigation for you and said friends, using all new characters made specifically for the evening. All materials, including the adventure and the characters, are exclusively yours following the session. (Limited to the Continental United States only).
- $2,000--All rewards listed at the $1,000 level, plus a two free copies of every Cold Steel Wardens product produced...ever!
- $5,000--True partnership. You'll be brought on board as a consultant for further products, design ideas, and more. Obviously, there'll be negotiation at this level, which will be hashed out upon such a pledge.