Sunday, June 08, 2008

In Which The Warlock Enjoys 4e!

Well, friends and neighbors, I've made my decision. 4e rocks on toast. The problems found so frequently in 3e--the rules bloat, the necessity of prestige classes, the bizarre feat trees and prerequisites--are gone. Classes are but perfectly balanced, and I'll be happy to play any of them. I still miss things like the Great Wheel and the like, but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

So, on that note, here's a eulogy for the fallen system...

Friends, Gamers, geeks, lend me your ears;
I come to bury 3e, not to praise it.
The evil of any edition lives after it;
The good is oft interred with its bones;
So let it be with 3e. The noble designers
Hath told you 3e was broken:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath 3e answer'd it.
Here, under leave of WotC and the rest--
For WotC is an honourable corporation;
So are all the designers, all honourable men--
Come I to speak in 3e's funeral.
It was my friend, faithful and just to me:
But the designers says it was broken;
And WotC is an honourable corporation.
3e hath brought many joyous nights in dank basements
With many an orc slain and princess rescued:
Did in this 3e seem broken?
When with a character concept you were so inspired, 3e did abide:
The meaning of broken should be more closely defined:
Yet WotC says 3e was broken;
And WotC is an honourable corporation.
You all have rolled dozens of characters if not more,
With profession, craft, and knowledge skills,
Each character having his own alignment : was this broken?
Yet WotC says 3e was broken;
And, sure, it is an honourable corporation.
I speak not to disprove what WotC spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love 3e once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for it?
O Player base! thou art fleeting to a new edition,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with 3e,
And I must pause till it come back to me.

I can't (and won't!) take credit for this great transciption--it's from a guy named “ElDragon”, found on ENWorld.

No comments:

Post a Comment