Wednesday, August 13, 2008

In Which The Warlock Applauds The Voice of Reason!

I've been a fan of Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo franchise since Diablo II came out. Much as I try, I just can't seem to tear myself away from it entirely--I occassionally find that I'll lose an inordinate amount of spare time doing Bloody Foothills runs in Act V, or killing The Countess for her glorious, glorious rune drops.

As such, when Diablo III was announced just before E3, I was stoked! A conclusion to the storyline! Graphics that you can actually without squinting! (which will, undoubtedly, kill my laptop's graphics card...) Goatmen! Everyone loves killing goatmen!

Needless to say, I was kind of shocked that to find out that, nearly 2 days after the announcement, an outcry emerged against the game, saying that the new graphics/art direction was a "violation against prior entries in the series" and "did not fit with the gothic tone of the game".

It's a ridiculous claim, considering that all of 20 minutes of gameplay--in a game that can take up something like 50-60 hours--has been shown to the public. Even Blizzard's senior art director resigned just after the poo hit the fan.

So, as of now, I thank Adam Sessler. Co-host of X-Play, on the G4 network (which I, sadly enough, no longer get....grrr, Time Warner Cable), he provides us with the following dose of sanity:

Sessler's Soapbox--"Diablo III's Flaming Fanboys

For more information on the Diablo III release, including Blizzard's errant art director, I recommend visiting D3.net

No comments:

Post a Comment