So, without further adieu, here's the master list!
Part I: Preparation
- What advice would you give a first time GM?
- What are your favorite GMing tools or accessories?
- How do you find players?
- Do you use pre-published adventures or write your own?
- Stealing like an artist: what inspiration have you drawn from other games, books, movies, etc.?
- Worldbuilding--what's your process?
- How do you prep for the start of a campaign?
- How do you prep for each session?
- Player "homework": what do you ask of your players before and between sessions?
- What are your tips for running a low/no prep game?
Part II: At the Table
- House rules: what are your favorite hacks, mods, and shortcuts?
- Table rules: how do you keep players focused on the game?
- Rise to the challenge: how do you balance encounters in your system?
- How do you facilitate combat? Any tips, tools, or cheats?
- Memorable villains: how do you introduce and weave the antagonists/s into the ongoing narrative?
- Investigation and mysteries: how do you use foreshadowing, red herrings, and keep the tension rising?
- Structure and time: how do you use flashbacks, cut scenes, and parallel narratives in your games?
- How do you handle rewards, be they XP, magic items, gold?
- What was your worst session and why?
- What was your best session and why?
Part III: Meta
- What are your favorite books about gamemastering?
- A novel solution: what's the best advice you've ever borrowed from a totally different field?
- What effects do the system mechanics have on the story?
- Canon vs. alternate universe vs. original settings? What are the strengths and drawbacks of each?
- Problem players and drama llamas: what's your horror story and how did you resolve it?
- Are GMs bad players? How do you step back when someone else is running the show?
- Have you ever co-GMed? Would you consider it? What are the pros and cons?
- Transcending the material plane: how do you GM online?
- Teaching the rules: how do you sell players on the system while running a demo or con game?
- How do we grow the hobby?