Thursday, February 24, 2011

In Which The Warlock Runs Somewhat Behind...



The coming end for Actorios...

Okay, so I'm late again.  Deal.  It's been one of those weeks...

At any rate, I've been contemplating a new step for our weekly D&D game.  You see, as I mentioned in his character background on here, Actorios of Theleb Orethia is designed entirely to be a tragic figure.  While not necessarily the most sympathetic, the futility and desperation of his means will one day catch up with his ends, no matter how noble he might think they are.  Defile an entire plane, then drown a city-state?  Perfectly fine for Actorios, since his aim is to bring water to the rest of parched Athas...

The challenge, then, comes from what happens next.  Not what happens once he succeeds, mind you--I'm fully anticipating him to fail!--but rather, what happens when the deals he's made catch up with him.  He's already reneged on his pact with Yrkoon, the Ever-Hungry.  He's all but abdicated his title of Crown Prince in Theleb Orethia.  Even were he to return, nearly all of the nation hates him anyway for driving them to ruin.  His pact with Andropinis is tenuous, and was entirely made out of convenience...

So, the question remains:  what happens after Actorios gets what's coming to him?

I had earlier promised Chaotic Frederick that, should my hex-slinging anti-hero get rubbed out, my next character would be Lawful Good.  Yes, that's right, my lovelies.  Yours truly, playing the hardest alignment to play...


Another time, perhaps...
My original intent was to go with a full-on tank, trying out the psionics rules with a Battlemind.  While originally unimpressed with the damage output or the ability to draw fire of the battlemind--at least when Lupin was kicking around--additional options provided through Psionic Power and Dark Sun have made it a much more attractive choice.  On a whim, I statted up a dwarf battlemind then leveled him on up to 30.  Even with a two-handed hammer, my little experiment was pinging an AC over 50 at that point, with a potential +7 to all defenses, every round!  Man, that's tanking!

But, one of our newer players beat me to the punch.  With a Fighter and another Battlemind already in the party, adding a third tank doesn't help a thing.

So, I thought, what would be cool?  What would be challenging?  What would be outside of the norm?

I immediately thought of a Psion, but almost as quickly dismissed the idea.  Despite the psionics system differences, there wasn't enough draw for me to want to play another high-Intelligence, high-Charisma character.  But, above all else, the party needs ranged support--right now, the only "back-liner" is Chris II's ranger, who's been spamming Twin-Strike like it's his job...which, all told, it kind of is.  Even moreso, the party needs some control elements.  Damage hasn't been lacking, but control of the battlefield's been a difficult thing for us to maintain.


My next character, perhaps?

Then, it hit me.  If I'm going to play against type, why not do it all out?  A Druid.  Control elements, dangerous at range, and finally beefed-up through Primal Power.  This, indeed, would do.  Plus, there's a neat chain of powers at Paragon-tier that allows for massive cold vulnerability piling onto enemies.  This, I could live with!  While the cold damage is a little off-putting a desert world, reflavoring could make this guy into a sun-worshipper...someone whose spells sap the very life and heat out of his foes. 

So there you are, my lovelies.  My next creation is my utter antithesis--a faithful and devout, elemental worshipping, Lawful Good druid.  Man...Chaotic Frederick is going to be blown away...

No comments:

Post a Comment